Recently we’ve been getting an abundance of plums in our CSA. I’ve kind of run out of ideas with them. Then, we received a bag of cranberries! How awesome! Except it wasn’t Thanksgiving so I couldn’t make cranberry sauce. So I came up with this crazy idea of combining them into a delicious crumble.
The verdict? My husband told me it was the best thing I had ever baked, ever. Whoa. That’s pretty extreme. But I knew he was serious when a day or two later it was half gone. Hmmmmm…..
But I mean, he was on to something. Delicious brown sugar crumble on top AND on the bottom? Tender slices of sweet plums plus the tarty goodness of cranberries? Yeah, I suppose I should have just known it was going to be amazing.
Can we talk about something ELSE that is amazing besides this crumble???
Wait for it…..
I GOT A NEW JOB!!!!!! DANCE PARTY!!!!
So many of you know that I’m in grad school studying to be an elementary school teacher. Well, my original plan was to stay at my job at the insurance company I was working for until I had to start my practicum next year. Well, I decided I didn’t want to do that anymore. Mainly because I felt like I was the only person in my program NOT in a school. You catch my drift?
So when my classmate and friend told me that the school she was working at was looking for an aide for a 4 year old boy with autism, I took it as a sign. I interviewed and was offered the job RIGHT after the interview. Talk about AMAZING!
So, to make a long story short, I’m into my third week at the school and I’m absolutely in love. While there are challenging days, exhausting days, new worries over just how I’m going to be able to afford to do anything anymore, there are also the days when everything goes amazing and I feel like I’m really connecting with not just my one on one, but with all the students. And I wouldn’t go back to my old job for anything. It’s nice to find something that you really click with, when you don’t feel like you are going to work everyday, but you are enjoying what you are doing!
So enough of my gushing. But you can help me celebrate by making some of this delicious Plum Cranberry Crumble!
Plum Cranberry Crumble
Adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod
For the crumble:
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 3 cups thinly sliced plums
- 1.5 cups cranberries
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1.5 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, combine the plums, cranberries, sugars, cornstarch, and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Once it has been brought to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and continue simmering until the sauce thickens and the cranberries start to burst, about 10 minutes.
- For the crumble, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg in a medium sized bowl. Add the melted butter and mix until the mixture is no longer dry, but do not over mix.
- Pour half the crumble mixture into the bottom of the baking dish. Pour the plum/cranberry mix over the bottom crumble and use a spatula to make it even
- Dump the remaining crumble on top of the mixture and gently pat the crisp down.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 30-40 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes before serving.